Sunday, August 14, 2011

The past couple weeks. . .

August gets tough as both the water clarity gets gin, and the temperatures rise.  I've had a lot of fish lazily follow my fly, but most turn away as soon as they see me.

I've dropped the wire leader altogether and thinned down to 2x flourocarbon, and that's helped a little.  Luckily, I haven't lost a fish yet to mono, but I'm sure I will soon.
So with the weather what it is, I haven't been fishing quite as many days.  I've been using the time to look at new cars, as my Wagoneer only gets 10 mpg, I'd like to get back into a Subaru which should still be able to pull my boat.
I suspect that September and October will be good.  So I'll use my time wisely to take care of non-fishing related matters now and try and keep the fall responsibility-free.

Yesterday on the Lower river, I found a pod of Largemouth schooled up in some submerged tree stumps.  I had repeated rejections until I switched to a small popper and 3x mono, and that did the trick.  They're a lot of fun, but I still don't get why they're the most popular N. American gamefish.  They fight like old men.
It was 91 degrees out on the river.  Forest fires are burning in the hills.  Let's hope for cooler temps soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment