Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Free-Balling Diver, perfectly weedless

Again, the counter-balance was inspired by what Simon is doing over at pikeflyfishingarticles, but I really needed a weedless diver and this is what I came up with.  I gotta say, it really floats well and it is completely weedless.  The hook is protected from being both upright and covered in deerhair.  It'll still snag a lilly stem here and there, but I LOVE this fly.  A bitch to tie time-wise, but fun nonetheless.
I posted a thread with complete tying instructions over on WFF.com.


2 comments:

  1. Would be interesting to see you try the same process on a bendback hook.You can still pack the deerhair along the hook shank and trim to shape required. the bendback hook might give more surface area and possibility for hook ups.....then again it might not! you'll only know if you try it out I suppose.

    ReplyDelete