Friday, August 26, 2011

Car shopping done! and back to the fishing!

Well I finally got the vehicle situation figured out.  As much as I've been trailering the boat(s) this year, I've been wanting to get a vehicle that gets better fuel mileage than my '85 Grand Wagoneer.  That beast is my baby, but at 10mpg, fishing as much as 5 days a week, it's been murder on the wallet.  Plus, as anyone who has fished with me knows, she likes to stall and not start up again right at the boat launch, (which is maybe the most embarrassing place for a car NOT to start, besides maybe on train tracks).  So she has been shelved to leak as much oil as she can in front of the house).  I may sell her, I don't know.
 Take a breather ShagWag, you did a good job.
_______________________________________________________________________________

So, after weeks of looking around, I bought the vehicle I thought perfect for the job.  I had to go Subaru again.  Here in Montana, with the fucked up weather and long driving distances, Subarus are key.  They get good mpg, and have an amazing AWD that cuts through snow and (hopefully) can drop off/extract my boats from shady boat put-ins.  I wanted an Impreza wagon, cuz I've already owned an Outback and wanted something a little sportier.  But I wanted either a 2002 or a 2003, because they have the round headlights.  I have a thing for round headlights, some of my favorite cars I have owned had round headlights (1964 Karmann Ghia, and a jacked up 1983 CJ5, and someday, I will restore and own a Porsche 912). 
Please welcome ________________ (name yet to be earned):



Notice something about her?  That's right!  She looks just like a large pike.  How perfect is that!?!

Now, you can't just buy a car and be happy.  You've got to make it personal.  First thing, stereo.  I put an Alpine head unit in her, all new speakers, and an amplified sub under the seat.  She sounds amazing.  I buffed the headlights with one of those restoration kits.  Then, and most importantly, I installed the hitch and a wiring harness.
And I had her pulling the boat to the lake yesterday morning.  She performed excellently, with plenty of power on the dirt roads and highway.  Unfortunately, the fishing is still tough.  I saw plenty of large fish, including some monster bass, but they wouldn't play with me.  I landed about a dozen small pike.  But with nighttime temps dropping into the forties, I think these fish will come out to play soon.  It should be an excellent fall and I'll be ready to enjoy every minute of it





1 comment:

  1. nice new ride dave. i don't think i've ever seen the wagoneer stall before. haha

    ReplyDelete